minishorts.net
Thursday, August 21
 
THURSDAY IS HELLO KITTY DAY!!!!!

To all that hate Hello Kitty, I'm so sorry for this dedicated Hello Kitty post. But if you're Malaysian and speak at least two languages and own a blog of your own as well, stay a while 'cos after this 'presentation' of my new train set, there's serious things to attend to...

But before that!!!!! Here's the goodies!!!!!!! The final set of the McDonald's Hello Kitty trainset... this is Flower Girl Kitty ...







HEHEHE... CUTE? OKAY OKAY ... down to business.

Doing Research

This totally applies if you are Malaysian and are fluent in at least two languages, dialects included. I need a HUGE favour from you all.

Well, Minishorts is doing some 'armchair' research for one of her papers entitled 'Bilingualism'. I have one week to compile the data for this short research. I know that the language of blogging for Malaysians is typically English / Malay, but I do read excerpts and posts where the writer lapses into strings of sentences where he/she code-switches (code switching is a linguistic term which basically means, in layman's term, mixing two or more languages together in a sentence).

Do you see where this is going? Minishorts hopes that she'll be able to compile a few blog entries that are written in what is typically known as 'rojak' Malaysian. Notice I did not label the language 'English' because, well, in some cases, code switches occur so frequently in strings of sentences that what you get is no longer one language. "We switch codes so often that I have no idea what language we are speaking, but it makes perfect sense."

That's the sign of a true bilingual, I think, and which many Malaysians are. Now a typical multilingual blog post would be something like this one here which I wrote quite some time ago and in which I got flamed by someone who said that it was bad English.

So here, if you can find your old posts that are written in mixed languages, as well as following posts that rectify the mixed-language post by giving reasons to why you are doing so, please write to me at my e-mail!!!

This shall serve to be one of my pilot studies in my efforts to discover a good observation setting to work my postgraduate thesis. And I think you have an idea already about what I really have in mind.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! ARIGATO GOZAIMASU! TERIMA KASIH, DOR CHEH, GAM SIAH and XIE XIE NI MEN!!!

 




<< Home
we hope she's getting better...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Narcissistic, just like you. Otherwise, you'd like to think she's living a better life than you are. Walk on for the future.

ARCHIVES
September 2002 / October 2002 / November 2002 / December 2002 / January 2003 / February 2003 / March 2003 / April 2003 / May 2003 / June 2003 / July 2003 / August 2003 / September 2003 / October 2003 / November 2003 / December 2003 / January 2004 / February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 /


Powered by Blogger